Français langue seconde
A World to Discover
The aim of this activity is to allow contact with French speaking countries at the dawn of the next millennium.
If you had to predict the reality of French speaking countries in the world, what would you have to say?
- How many francophones are there on our planet?
- In how many countries does French have an official status?
- Are there people in countries in Asia, in Africa that speak French?
The questions are important in helping us better understand the actual status of French. I am inviting you to do the following activity. You will have to accomplish the following tasks: Using information that you havefound on the Internet:
- Build a map of the world where you will have to identify countries where French has an official status.
- Write an informative text whose aim will be to present the result of your discoveries.
Therefore, here is your task:
- Get yourself a map of the world.
With the help of Internet, go to the site: http://www.francophonie.org/-Etats-et-gouvernements-.html.
Using this list, build your map of the official members of the Francophonie.
Using a code, identify on a political map of the world the member states of the Francophonie.
Build a legend that will help you identify your code.
- Don't forget to use the knowledge and skills from your Social Studies and Geography classes in applying the methods of building a map. For example, title, legend, ...
- Once your map is completed, write an informative text about your discoveries.
The text will have to inform your audience on the geographical distribution of societies where the French language has an official status.
This text will be written for the students from your class.
You must only use the information contained on your map in the writing of your text.
- you draw a map
- you write an informative text
I will use the following elements in drawing a map
- a title
- a legend
- well organized
- aesthetically clean
The informative text
I will use the following components in my text:
- My text informs in a general manner.
- My text contains information on all the regions identified on my map.
I have discussed with my teacher what linguistic criteria must be taken account of in the writing of my text:
- sentence structures;
- the spelling;
- the grammar.
I have used pertinent tools when I proofread my text. They are:
- a dictionary;
- a verb conjugator;
- a grammar text.