About Intensive French
CASLT supports Intensive French, an innovative approach to revitalizing Core French programs. We provide information sessions and present teacher workshops to help with successful implementation in the schools.
- Intensive French Tool Kit for Administrators
- Summer Training Sessions
- Intensive French and Intensive Language Programs in Canada – A Focus Group Meeting
This tool kit is intended for administrators, department of education representatives, or anyone who oversees the FSL programs in their school. It contains helpful models and ideas for all stages of starting and running an Intensive French program.
All About Intensive French Fact Sheet
This fact sheet provides answers to common questions about IF such as:
- What is Intensive French?
- What does it look like?
- How is this different from French Immersion and Core French?
Benefits of Intensive French Fact Sheet
Discover the many benefits of the Intensive French program.
Frequently Asked Questions about Intensive French Brochure
This brochure provides the answers to common parent concerns and questions about Intensive French, such as:
- As a parent, do I have to know French?
- What can I do to help my child?
- How is the language taught?
- How did Intensive French get started?
pdf link (in French)
Each summer, provinces and territories hold summer institutes to train teachers on the Intensive French program. We will post information here when dates are decided.
By: Institute for Innovation in Second Language Education (IISLE) at Edmonton Public Schools
Title: Leadership Institute for Second Language Educators
Dates: August 18-19, 2016
Location: Edmonton, AB
This two-day workshop covers several key topics for lead educators in language programs, including:
- Characteristics of effective language programming
- Assessment and analyzing of program effectiveness
- Inclusive education in language programming
- Effective technologies for language learning
- Local, national and international trends in languages
More details can be found on the online flyer.
By: Fédération des enseignants de la Saskatchewan (FES) and Association des enseignants de français de la Saskatchewan (APFS)
Dates: 15 au 19 août 2016
Location: Saskatoon, SK
By: Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI)
Dates: July 4-15, 2016
Location: Ottawa, ON
Workshops, guest speakers, and instructional time on:
- Use of pedagogical tools
- Integration of the four skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing)
- Teaching of grammar in context
- Evaluation in L2
- Feedback and practises application
Plus special presentations on three important themes:
- Integrating French culture in the classroom
- Using technology in second language teaching
- Language training sessions
The program will also feature guest speakers.
Training on the Neurolinguistics Approach
Newfoundland and Labrador
By: Memorial University, Faculty of Education
Dates: July 4-29, 2016
Location: St John’s, NL
CASLT held an Intensive Language Programs (ILP) focus group meeting to take stock of the state of these programs across Canada and to support the many teachers who have embraced this approach to teaching and learning a second language. The participants and presenters gave highlights and challenges in relation to their respective regions (each province and territory was represented), and provided a much-valued pan-Canadian overview.
YouTube Link (in English and French)
pdf link Presentation (in English and French)
pdf link Report