CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Openings on the CASLT Board of Directors 2023-24
The Board of Directors of the Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers (CASLT) operates as a policy-setting body with overall responsibility for establishing strategic direction, public relations, member services, and financial goals. CASLT endeavours to achieve a diversity of perspectives through board representation from across the second language education community in Canada.
Board members manage the activities and affairs of the Association and are responsible for liaison work with partner associations. They are also expected to participate in three or four teleconferences/online meetings and to attend three or four face-to-face board meetings per year, including one Annual General Meeting in the fall.
The mandate of CASLT is to promote excellence in language education across Canada. The ability to communicate in English and/or French as well as additional languages is considered an asset for the position of CASLT Board Director.
CASLT is seeking individuals who are passionate about second language education, who are recognized as current or future leaders in their field, and who have qualifications and qualities among the following:
- Canadian citizenship
- National-level experience in the field of second language teaching and learning
- Proven leadership capabilities
- Understanding of issues and trends in language education
- Established connections with Indigenous language revitalization and teaching communities
- Experience in governance of an association, including setting policy, identifying and managing risk to the association, and establishing strategic directions
- Aptitude to work well as part of a team, to make evidence-based decisions, to contribute reasoned opinions, and to accept and support decisions reached by the Board
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and decolonization in language teaching programs
- Experience and expertise in working with the broader educational communities, including teacher federations, faculties of education, ministries of education, governmental organisations, funding agencies, and/or school boards
- Knowledge in the areas of funding diversification, professional learning, membership development, and/or research
- Established connections with international language communities
- Energy, capacity, and willingness to commit time and expertise to serve on the Board, to serve on committees, to take on a variety of executive roles, and to represent CASLT as requested
- Ability to serve for a minimum of one two-year term and a maximum of three two-year terms
- Familiarity with CASLT’s mission, vision, and goals
One of CASLT’s strategic goals for 2022-2025 is to increase its profile in promoting excellence in language education, including the teaching of French and English as well as Indigenous and International Languages. As such, preference will be given to board director candidates who possess experience and expertise in the revitalization and teaching of Indigenous languages and/or the teaching of international languages.
Submit an Expression of Interest
If you are interested in serving on CASLT’s Board of Directors, submit an Expression of Interest form:Expression of Interest Form
For more information, please contact CASLT’s Nominating Committee:
Become a Member
CASLT supports its members by creating opportunities for professional development, initiating and disseminating research, and facilitating the exchange of information and ideas among language educators. Memberships start at only $45 per year!Compare Membership Categories Sign up today