Study on the Impact of COVID-19 on L2 Teacher Practice
Request for Expressions of Interest
Identifying the Enduring Innovations in L2 Teacher Practice Resulting From the COVID-19 Pandemic
The CASLT vision is for excellence in teaching languages. CASLT supports its members by promoting the advancement of language learning and teaching throughout Canada, by creating opportunities for professional development, by initiating and disseminating research, and by facilitating the exchange of information and ideas among language educators.
CASLT is conducting a roundtable consultation of its members and of second language (L2) stakeholders to explore the enduring impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on L2 teacher practice across the country. In particular, CASLT would like to identify the positive changes, strategies, adaptations, and innovations to L2 teacher practice resulting from the pandemic. At the same time, CASLT recognizes the need for teachers across the country to connect, network, and share information, ideas, and experiences.
To explore these ideas and to provide an opportunity for teachers to connect, CASLT will conduct a survey of its membership and host an online focus group/networking event. This consultative project will include the following components:
- Survey of CASLT membership
- Online networking event for L2 educators and researchers
- Interventions by experts on remote L2 teaching
- Breakout and facilitated roundtable discussions
CASLT solicits proposals from researchers to undertake this research and dialoguing exercise as described below in the “Responsibilities of the Researcher” section.
- Develop templates for the survey materials (e.g., questionnaires, facilitated discussion protocols, etc.).
- Draft the questions for prior to and during the event (survey questions and focus group questions).
- Ensure that the project complies with generally recognized ethical standards for data collection and processing.
- Draft consent forms for participants.
- Administer the survey to CASLT members prior to the event, with logistical support from CASLT.
- Establish the focus group facilitation guidelines.
- Plan the data collection from the discussions.
- Process and analyse the data gathered at the event and from the survey.
- Share the findings by producing a report for CASLT as well as one or more articles for publication in CASLT’s professional magazine Réflexions and/or the CASLT Blog.
- Collaborate with CASLT staff during the production phase: copyediting, translation, proofreading, and design.
- Collaborate with CASLT staff to create a turnkey presentation to share and disseminate the findings at relevant L2 teacher and stakeholder events.
- Work closely with the researcher to provide guidance, feedback, and support.
- Support the project through promotion and dissemination using existing CASLT communications outlets.
- Provide logistical support to organize the online event and the survey.
- Produce the final report, including copyediting and proofreading the final draft, translation, graphic design, printing, distribution, and online posting.
- Promote and disseminate the document(s) to stakeholders and members.
- Deadline for submission of expressions of interest: June 4, 2021
- Deadline for the survey and consultation event to take place: October 15, 2021
- Deadline for submission of the final draft report(s): November 30, 2021
- Deadline for project completion: March 31, 2022
The budget for the researcher’s honorarium is $6,000.