Call for Proposals
CASLT and L2RIC invite you to submit a proposal for the 2019 Languages Without Borders(LWB) national conference celebrating the teaching and learning of second languages.
The program selection committee welcomes session proposals from both novice and experienced presenters. Share your best practices, current research, and innovative ideas with second language educators from across Canada and beyond.
The committee encourages submissions on a wide range of topics including, but not limited to, pedagogy, assessment, proficiency, technology, inclusion, identity, and intercultural competency. Presentations should fall under one or more of the following conference strands in language education:
- French as a Second Language (e.g., French immersion, Intensive French, Core French)
- English as a Second Language (ESL in Francophone schools)
- English as an Additional Language (English to newcomers in Anglophone schools and adults learning English)
- French as an Additional Language (French to newcomers in Francophone schools and adults learning French)
- French in a Minority Language Setting (“La francisation”)
- Indigenous Language and Culture
- International and Heritage Languages (e.g., Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, German, Gaelic)
Presenters may propose more than one session but must submit separate online applications for each.
- September 30, 2018: deadline for submitting a session proposal
- End of November, 2018: response to the lead presenter
- December 16, 2018: deadline for presenters to confirm participation
- December 21, 2018: deadline for presenters to register
- January 30, 2019: preliminary conference program
- March 1, 2019: deadline for lead presenter to provide their digital presentation
Proposals will be selected by the program selection committee based on their relevance to the conference strands, ensuring that the conference program offers a balanced, comprehensive, and diversified choice of sessions. The committee may also consider such criteria as the language of presentation, the type of second language program, and the geographical location of the presenter.
Furthermore, the committee shall consider the following elements when judging the overall quality of proposals:
- Well written and succinct description of the session
- Clearly articulated purpose and procedures, including the intended audience
- Relevance of the topic to the field of second language teaching, learning, and research
- Opportunities for participant engagement (where applicable)
The program selection committee reserves the right to request modifications to proposals prior to acceptance. If accepted, speakers may be invited to present in formats other than the one they selected.
Presenter Registration Rate
The number of presenters per session eligible to pay the discounted presenter registration rate for the conference varies according to the type of session. Additional presenters must pay the non-presenter rate.
To see how many presenters are eligible for the presenter rate, read the descriptions under Types of Sessions below.
Please consult the Registration page for the presenter rate.
IMPORTANT: Presenters are responsible for registering for the conference, arranging and paying for their own travel and lodging, and for any other associated costs.
Types of Sessions
Presentation (25 minutes)
Sharing or showcasing of information, with time and strategies integrated into the session for the audience to process information and to ask questions.
Number of speakers eligible for the presenter rate: 1
Workshop (50 or 100 minutes)
A hands-on, interactive professional development activity around a specific issue or technique. Requests for a double (100-minute) session must clearly demonstrate the need for extra time.
Number of speakers eligible for the presenter rate: 2
Panel (50 or 100 minutes)
A structured session on a current topic related to one or more of the conference strands that includes 3–4 presenters, a discussant/facilitator, and time for questions and discussion. Each speaker’s presentation should be a maximum of 10 (or 20) minutes. Requests for a double (100-minute) session must clearly demonstrate the need for extra time.
Number of speakers eligible for the presenter rate: 4
Commercial Presentation (25 or 50 minutes):
Any session that promotes a saleable product, program, or service will be considered a commercial presentation. A limited number of commercial presentations are available at $100 for a 25-minute session or $150 for a 50 minute session (commercial presentation fees do not include registration to the conference).
Number of speakers eligible for the presenter rate: Not applicable
Conference presentations will take place on Friday May 3, 2019, and Saturday May 4, 2019.
Once a proposal is accepted, the lead presenter of the session must provide their slide presentation in digital format to CASLT by March 1, 2019. Online access to digital presentations will be made available to conference registrants.
Confirmation of Sessions
The lead presenter will receive notice via email of the status of the proposed session by the end of November 2019. If the proposal is accepted, the lead presenter must confirm participation by December 16, 2018 and register for the conference by December 21, 2018.
Proposal Contact Information